Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Police Officers Approve New Contract with the City

I was very pleased to learn that earlier this morning, the SJPOA (the union representing San Jose’s police officers) voted to agree to a new contract with the City. The contract includes a 10 percent pay cut. After being informed of the POA’s approval, the City Council quickly and unanimously voted to approve the deal.

I am very pleased that the City and our police officers were able to agree to a contract, primarily because if no agreement had been reached, the Mayor’s proposed budget would call for the laying off of 156 officers. However, I am still frustrated that despite this agreement, over 120 San Jose officers may still be laid off.

I will have more on this later, but I have to run back to Council so that we can hold a final discussion on the budget, and so I can discuss the memo I submitted last week that would put even more police officers back on the street (click here to read my memo: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/clerk/Agenda/20110614/20110614_0901att2.pdf)